Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thursday, February 23, 2016


Thursday, February 23, 2016

Dear Parents,

On Thursday, March 2 we are going to the Campbell Creek Science Center. We will drive there, leaving the school at 9:20 a.m. and return to school by 3:30 p.m. This full day program is usually $24 per student, but we have received funding to reduce the cost to $4 per student. We will participate in a learning experience called, “Snow Sleuths”. Students will need to bring a lunch and all their gear, as we will be outside most of the day. As of now, I only have a few people that have said they could drive. I have to have all the required information into the office no later than Monday or we will not be able to go. Chaperones please meet in Room 177 by 9:00 next Thursday. This should be a fantastic trip!
What started out as a bet I lost to two students five years ago has turned into a wonderful tradition. Evan and Leland approached me and proposed a bet. If the Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA Championship, they would become teachers for the day. I agreed, but said if the Cleveland Cavaliers won, they would have to wash my car. As you know, my car still needs a wash and they became teachers for the day. Over the summer I wished I had come up with this idea on my own. I’ve always told the students that I’m not the only teacher in the classroom. Each student is a teacher. Each student brings unique experiences and expertise to our class and when he or she shares those gifts, the rest of us receive new learning. Leland and Evan wanted to take over the class the first day of school, but I told them they needed to take a teaching course first. They came in several times during their lunch time and wrote lesson plans, practiced the lessons they would teach, and promised to be professional. When the day arrived, they came dressed in ties, greeted the students at the door, conducted circle, gave math lessons, spelling tests, and a volcano science lesson that Evan said, “had the crowd going crazy”. After a few giggles from the students seeing their new teachers, they settled in and were respectful to our guest teachers. The whole day was a real joy for me to see these third graders demonstrate such responsibility and see a little of myself in their teaching style. I was so impressed and excited by the entire experience that it will forever be a right of passage for every third grader to be teacher for the day. Last Friday, Rachel and Riley took over the role of teacher and did a marvelous job. Rachel and Riley greeted the students at the door, gave spelling tests, and taught us about velociraptors. Rachel also did an impromptu lesson in which she had the first graders draw pictures and then label all the nouns and adjectives on their drawings. It was a great day and I’ve had several second graders tell me what they plan to do next year when it is their turn. We look forward to the other third graders taking their turn in the second semester.
I have sent homework in today’s folder for next Friday’s spelling test. The students are very excited.
I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting with you all and celebrating your child’s success. I appreciate all you do on your child’s behalf. I love working with your children and observing their growth and maturity academically, socially, and emotionally. Thank you for all your help with field trips, spelling tests, laminating, listening to students read, sharing your expertise with the class, and all you do to make Room 177 and Denali Montessori such a wonderful place to be.
            If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail me at moyer_craig@asdk12.org of call or write me a note.

Sincerely,


Craig Moyer

No comments:

Post a Comment