Thursday, November 20, 2014


Thursday, November 20, 2014

Dear Parents,

What started out as a bet I lost to two students four summers ago, turned into a wonderful experience that keeps on going. Evan and Leland, now seventh graders, approached me at the end of the school year and proposed a bet. If the Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA Championship, they would become teachers for the day. I agreed, but said if the Cleveland Cavaliers won, they would have to wash my car. As you know, my car still needs a wash and they became teachers for the day. Over the summer I wished I had come up with this idea on my own. I’ve always told the students that I’m not the only teacher in the classroom. Each student is a teacher. Each student brings unique experiences and expertise to our class and when he or she shares those gifts, the rest of us receive new learning. Leland and Evan wanted to take over the class the first day of school, but I told them they needed to take a teaching course first. They came in several times during their lunch time and wrote lesson plans, practiced the lessons they would teach, and promised to be professional. On Friday they came dressed in ties, greeted the students at the door, conducted circle, gave math lessons, spelling tests, and a volcano science lesson that Evan said, “had the crowd going crazy”. After a few giggles from the students seeing their new teachers, they settled in and were respectful to our guest teachers. The whole day was a real joy for me to see these third graders demonstrate such responsibility and see a little of myself in their teaching style. I was so impressed and excited by the entire experience that it will forever be a right of passage for every third grader to be teacher for the day. Thank you Leland and Evan for your wonderful gift. On Friday, November 7th we continued the tradition with Alan and Arthur taking over the teaching duties for the day. They did a marvelous job teaching multiplication to the first graders, division to the second graders, and algebra to the third graders, a fun science experiment, gave spelling tests, and more. The students and I were impressed on how peaceful and quietly everyone worked. It was a great day!
Our class is going to have a Thanksgiving potluck on Tuesday, November 25 from 12:10-1:30 with Mr. Harjehausen’s class. Students will be making placemats, cooking, and preparing for our guests. In addition to the items we make, students may bring an item to share. So we don’t have 24 Jell-O molds, we will have first graders bring fruit or a salad or a Jell-O mold, second graders a dessert, and third graders a main dish item. Parents are welcome to join us for the feast. This should be a fun event to get to know our neighbors and celebrate our blessings.
The next field trip will be on Thursday, December 11. We will walk to the Performing Arts Center to see the musical, “Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great”. We have been enjoying Judy Blume’s book in class. We will leave at about 11:20 and return at about 1:20. I have included permission slips in today’s folder.
On Thursday, December 18 we will celebrate a successful first semester with a pool party at West High Pool. We will drive to West High Pool at 12:45 and return at 3:00. I am sending this permission slip home today as well. Please note the due date for the permission slip as Friday, December 5. The school district needs my list of driving chaperones over a week ahead of time to have everyone checked for insurance requirements. Thank you to Finn and Jessie’s grandparents for generously sponsoring this pool party. We really appreciate it!
I have sent homework home in today’s folder, but it will not be due until Friday, December 5. There is no homework next week and I will not send home a folder due to the Thanksgiving holiday. 
My parents will be visiting from Walla Walla, Washington and I am taking Wednesday, November 26 off to spend some time with them. Please remind your child to be on their best behavior for our visiting teacher that day. I have had nothing but excellent reports from the other visiting teachers I’ve had in the past. I expect the same this time as well. Thanks for your support.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It is just a time for us to gather with friends and family and reflect on the many things we are thankful for. I am very thankful for your support at home with your children, all the volunteers that help listen to students read, make copies, are able to join us on field trips, and everything else that makes my job so enjoyable. I am thankful for such a great group of students who care about each other, work well together, and are not afraid to make mistakes and learn from them. I hope you all have a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday.
            If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at moyer_craig@asdk12.org or call or write me a note.

Sincerely,

Craig Moyer


No comments:

Post a Comment